[fitswcs] Units along spectral axes

Mark Calabretta mcalabre at atnf.CSIRO.AU
Fri Jun 10 02:53:39 EDT 2005

On Thu 2005/06/09 11:50:41 -0400, William Thompson wrote
in a message to: FITSWCS <fitswcs at donar.cv.nrao.edu>

>	RESTWAVa = 3.04E-8	/[m] Rest wavelength

In passing, I would like to emphasise that a units specification in the
comment field is descriptive rather than definitive - this point is made
unambiguously in Paper I.  RESTWAVa is always in metres, regardless of
what appears between the brackets.

>I suggest that this be strengthened to point out the need for strict
adherence
>to the system outlined in Paper I.
>
>I also suggest that the caption for Table 6 be changed to
>
>	Table 6.  Grism parameters, their default values, and required units.
>	                                                      ^^^^^^^^
>
>to emphasize that the units of the parameters are fixed, and do not vary with
>the spectral units.

Yes, this seems reasonable to me.

Mark Calabretta