[fitsmime] draft text of RFC ready for review and approval

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sun May 18 01:43:49 EDT 2003

Greetings to all

Things have lain quiet since shuttle Columbia broke up, but I am
hoping to get the MIME proposal for FITS into the formal approval
pipeline now.  I believe I have incorporated the few comments on the
draft as it was last published.  I have tidied up the draft so that it
conforms exactly to the format required by the IESG, and this includes
a table of contents for the 20 pages of ASCII text.

The main web page is
http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/fits/mime/
The draft itself and the comments on the draft are linked there.

I believe it is reasonable to set a goal of submitting the draft to
the RFC editor in late June or early July.

I would like to receive comments from FITSMIME now.

In about 2 weeks I will ask for comments from FITSBITS/sci.astro.fits.
At about the same time I expect to ask the AAS WGAS FITS Committee for
approval to get an official title for the Internet Draft.
If all goes smoothly the IAUFWG could be asked for approval before
departing for the GA in Sydney.

--
Steve Allen          UCO/Lick Observatory       Santa Cruz, CA 95064
sla at ucolick.org      Voice: +1 831 459 3046     http://www.ucolick.org/~sla