[fitsbits] communique from the leap second wars

seaman at hanksville.org seaman at hanksville.org
Fri Jan 21 11:11:52 EST 2005

should the issuance of leap seconds be halted.

Straw proposal:  Replace all instances of "UTC" with "UT1" in the FITS
standard.  Begin working on a more extensive proposal for generalized
time handling in keywords and tables.

Discussion:  For the past five years (beginning before Y2K), a group of
representatives of the precision timing community have been attempting
to halt the issuance of leap seconds.  The effect of this would be to
completely disconnect civil time, which would remain UTC in name only,
from the rotation of the Earth.  I won't belabor the implications of
this except to note that a wide range of astronomical software and
systems would have to be rewritten simply to preserve current
functionality, just as with Y2K.  The latest attempt is to cast this as
a replacement of leap seconds issued roughly every 18 months, by leap
hours issued roughly every 600 years (the effect is quadratic).  One
has a hard time imagining how such a standard would be enforced -
Universal Time would simply cease to exist as we know it.

I've appended the retroactive announcement that such a vote occurred
(and the implication that they'll try again next year).  If you think
the IAU governs this decision, think again.  There is no indication
that the draft standard will ever be released for comment to the (many)
interested parties, but a bootleg version is available from
http://www.fcc.gov/ib/sand/irb/weritacrnc/archives/nc1893wp7a/1.doc.

Steve Allen of Lick Observatory provides an excellent web resource on
the issues:

http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs

My own take on the subject is available from:
http://iraf.noao.edu/~seaman/leap

Rob Seaman
National Optical Astronomy Observatory
---