[fitsbits] Extended Comment Period on 2 FITS Proposals

Bob Garwood bgarwood at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 2 17:39:17 EST 2004

William Pence wrote:

> 2.  A proposal to incorporate 2 unofficial appendices into the
> official FITS
> Standard.   These appendices describe the TDIMn keyword convention for
> specifying the dimensionality of vector columns in binary tables and the
> variable length array convention.  The original announcement regarding
> this proposal can be found at
> http://listmgr.cv.nrao.edu/pipermail/fitsbits/2004-October/001519.html

I've been meaning to make a couple of suggestions to this proposal.

Even with the modified text, the TDIM keyword isn't particularly useful
for a variable-length array column using the heap.  The suggested
replaced wording still implies an equality between the total number of
elements implied by TDIM and the
length specified by the variable length array descriptor.  Since the
whole point of using a variable-length array column is so that you can
vary the length of the array associated with that column, it seems to me
that there needs to be some statement as to how a TDIM keyword is to be
interpreted in that case (when the number of actual elements in the
array is < the total number implied by TDIM).

I think it would be more useful in that case if the TDIM values for that
column could be expressed as a column itself instead of a keyword.  e.g.
if the variable column in question is column 05 then somewhere you'd
have another column with a TTYPE value of "TDIM05".

Secondly, I think the above is useful even in the case where
variable-length arrays aren't used.  If you have nearly the same sized
arrays to store in a column, you could pad them all out to the same size
and store them without wasting too much space.  In that case, it would
be useful to mearly require that the number of elements implied by any
TDIM in the column be <= the element count for the column it refers to
and you'd have an associated column of TDIMs that would describe the
specific shape of each cell.

Bob Garwood