Comments on NOST 100-1.2

William F. Wyatt REMOVEwyattTHIS at cfa.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 16 11:39:11 EDT 1998

On 10 Jul 1998 13:06:38 -0400, Lucio Chiappetti <lucio at ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
wrote:
[...]
>  And I doubt they are of practical use in common conditions (I see that
>  peoples in banks and similar tend to have large databases, but I ever
>  doubt to need a > 2GB file  ... or to have > 2GB physical memory ... and
>  since I do not have that, why should I need 64-bit addresses ? In fact
[...]

And I used to think 64 kilobytes of DG Nova memory was fantastic.

Here at SAO, we're working on a CCD mosaic that, if used at full
resolution, will generate about 680 MBytes per image. Thats about 340
megapixels (16-bit). If you want to mosaic several of these images into
a single file (should that seem useful at the time), it'll easily
exceed 2 GB. And that's without floating it.

--
Bill Wyatt (REMOVEwyattTHIS at cfa0.harvard.edu) "remove this" for email
   Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory  (Cambridge, MA, USA)