EXTNAME Keyword in Primary HDU

Arnold Rots arots at xebec.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 14 10:24:33 EDT 1998

Just to be on the safe side, the ASC adopted a convention to use the
keyword HDUNAME: identical to EXTNAME in extensions, and playing the
same role in primary HDUs.

  - Arnold Rots

Louis Giglio wrote:
> The subject pretty much sums up my question.  Is it acceptable to have
> the EXTNAME keyword -- which is explicitly defined for extension HDU's --
> in the primary HDU of a FITS file.  Everything I've read seems to allow
> this without actually explicitly stating that it's legal.
>
> Thanks,
> Louis

Arnold H. Rots                                         AXAF Science Center
60 Garden Street, MS 81                              fax:  +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138                             arots at head-cfa.harvard.edu