ASCII table tricks

Archie Warnock warnock at clark.net
Mon Sep 9 23:49:05 EDT 1996

William Pence wrote:
> Would the proponents for allowing ASCII control characters in
> ASCII tables also want to allow CR and LF characters at the
> end of each header keyword?  It seems like this would
> also be required if one wants to be able to use standard
> text editors on FITS files.

Not necessarily.  It's pretty easy to split off the header from the data
and just access the data directly.  Now, if someone wanted to propose
allowing CR/LF characters in the header, I'd sure think that was a fine
idea, too, but it's not related to the idea of placing extra (and
undefined) characters in the tables.

I always thought it was pretty obvious that one could put those extra
characters into the tables.  There's no requirement that the table
header define every column of the table.

--

Archie

-- Archie Warnock                           Internet:  warnock at clark.net
-- A/WWW Enterprises                        Phone/FAX: 301-854-2987
--	     http://www.clark.net/pub/warnock/warnock.html
--	   As a matter of fact, I _do_ speak for my employer.