[evlatests] [RFI-JC] NRAO/GBO Monthly RFI Journal Club Reminder - Tue Mar 26th

Bang Nhan bnhan at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 18 10:16:09 EDT 2024

Hi everyone,

We will have our monthly RFI Journal Club held on the fourth Tue, Mar 26th, 2024, @ 1pm MST/3pm EST/8pm CET.

We will have our GBO Scientific Data Analyst, Brenne Gregory, giving a presentation on "GREAT: GBO RFI Environment Access Tools"

Abstract:

"The Green Bank Telescope, while located in the National Radio Quiet Zone, is not immune to the effects of RFI on astronomical observations. A crucial step of the observation process is planning for minimizing the effects of both broadband and narrow-band RFI on the acquired data. Green Bank previously performed RFI scans to provide observers with an idea of the spectral occupancy as seen by the GBT receivers. Here we lay out the new tools recently developed for the users to access and investigate the RFI environment. We present both the process of RFI scans as well as the new Graphical User Interface (GUI) and interactive website developed for this purpose."

The meeting will run 40-45 minutes consisting of ~15-20 minutes of presentation and ~20 minutes of discussion.

We plan to schedule the monthly RFI Journal Club on the fourth Tuesday of the month. The goal of this meeting will be to raise awareness and discuss RFI related articles and work-in-progress projects in the context of radio astronomy. The hope is to foster discussions between scientists, engineers, policy folks, technicians; anyone dealing with RFI at our sites.

If you want to give an RFI-related talk or discuss a publication or project, please contact myself or one of the organizers listed below.

The Zoom link to call in for this meeting:
Join Zoom Meeting https://nrao-edu.zoom.us/j/92201780033?pwd=QUxock9WczdDdUtOWjNPQWswRW5rQT09
Meeting ID: 922 0178 0033
Passcode: 050232

One tap mobile
+13052241968,,92201780033# US
+13092053325,,92201780033# US

Cheers,

Bang

On behalf of the organizing team:
Bang Nhan (NRAO-CV)
Brenne Gregory (GBO)
Tyler Mobraten (NRAO-SC)
Chris De Pree (NRAO-CV)

Assistant Scientist
Electromagnetic Spectrum Management
National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO)
520 Edgemont Rd
Charlottesville, VA 22903