[evlatests] Persistent P-band RFI

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Jan 22 12:14:21 EST 2024

There are two 64-MHz-wide bands within P-band that are relatively free
of RFI, and are still useful for science:  288 -- 352 MHz, and 388 --
444 MHz.

However, within that upper band, there is a persistent, everpresent, and
very strong source of RFI which requires a good chuck of frequency space
to be removed.  I attach a .png file to show its characteristics -- this
is a ten-minute long observation of the calibrator 3C48.  These data
were taken Saturday afternoon.  The entire 8-hour run was affected about
equally -- it never goes away.

The isolated vertical bar on the left is at 403.50 MHz.  The other major
ones that are visible are at 407.25, 408.0, 409.5, and (weaker on tdhe
right) 411.75 MHz.  There is plenty of evidence for pulsed emission, but
the strongest stuff looks very constant in time.

Is there any chance this is local?  And if so, can we turn if off?

Rick