[evlatests] RFI Journal Club - Save the Date: 12.12.23 (3-4 PM ET)

Chris De Pree cdepree at nrao.edu
Mon Nov 20 12:13:37 EST 2023

Greetings,

Based on early discussions at the RFI Working Group Meeting last month, we are planning to start a monthly RFI Journal Club meeting. The goal of this meeting will be to raise awareness and discuss articles that deal with RFI in the context of our instrumentation and operations. The article can be one that you wrote, or could also be an article from the literature that interests you, either a recent result, or something of historical interest. The hope is to foster discussions between scientists, engineers, policy folks, technicians: anyone dealing with RFI at our sites.

The first meeting will be on December 12, 2023 from 3:05-3:55 PM. The meeting will run 40-45 minutes, and will be made up of ~20 minutes of presentation and ~20 minutes of discussion.

For our first meeting, the journal article will be a recent work by Evan Smith "Simulating Spectral Kurtosis Mitigation Against Realistic RFI Signals", which can be found here<https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.07642>. The hope is that you will read the article beforehand, but even if you cannot, the speaker each month will present the basics of the article of interest during the first part of the meeting.

We will likely start with AUI employees only (e.g. VLA/VLBA/GBO/ALMA), but can open it up to a larger group if there is interest in that.

So for now, please save the date, and Zoom link information will be sent out ~2 weeks before our first meeting (early next week).

Please share this save the date email with other members of your teams who might be interested in this group.

Cheers,
Chris, Bang & Sheldon

Christopher G. De Pree
Deputy Spectrum Manager