[evlatests] Noisy C-band antennas?

Pedro P.B. Beaklini pbeaklin at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 11 18:29:29 EDT 2023

Rick, and all,

I did a test last Thursday on this. The thing is that the noise depends
on the antenna location. The compression is due to an RFI source in the
direction of stations W36 and N28 and often can be seen in N32, N36, and
W32 stations. For some reason that we are still investigating, ea17 is
more affected than others when it is on the RFI path. But the problem
can be seen in the other antennas in the RFI path.

On the current configuration, there is no antenna on W36 and N28. EA17
is far away now, at N64, and no compression was seen in my test on ea17,
in agreement with your data. However, on the antenna closest to W36,
ea05 at W40, I could see a C-band compression on 3-bit. Please, can you
take a look at ea05 on your data? I also saw a new noise source leading
to compression on the east arm ( peak on EA04 at E48). That is new to me
and needs further investigation, but the effect on data is similar.

If someone wants to take a look at pdif varying in time on my tests and
past data, I put some shorts movies at. Each frame is 5s, time on top in
minutes

/lustre/aoc/sciops/pbeaklin/tsys/C-band-issue/2023-06-06/pdif/

As a last comment, I was not the first one to notice the issue. The DAs,
SRDP team, and the support telescopes group have been aware of that for
a while. I only decided to take a deeper look at it :-)

Cheers
Pedro