[evlatests] Update on Strange R-L phase behavior

Sanjay Bhatnagar sbhatnag at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 30 13:04:24 EDT 2022

I have been thinking about this issue from geometric/optics point of
view, and was waiting for the investigations for the source being in the
electronics/temp. variations etc. to settle down.

"over the top" tests would be quite useful, I agree.  From what I can
make out, none of the on-sky tests so far included correction for
antenna pointing offsets.  If so, I suggest that in the next set of
tests we include pointing correction.

With antenna pointing offsets, which can be significant, celestial
sources trace a curve about the nominal optical axis. Such a trace (by
hand -- so not accurate but good enough) on antenna R- and L-voltage
patterns from holographic measurements show a R-L phase difference of
2-3 deg. which is in the ball-park of Rick's measurement.  Examination
of the Rick's plot with and without correcting for pointing offsets will
help determine if intrinsic R-L phase in the antenna aperture
illumination pattern could be contributing (partly or entirely) to
Rick's R-L phase plots.

Regards,

sanjay