[evlatests] Update on Strange R-L phase behavior

George Moellenbrock gmoellen at nrao.edu
Wed Mar 30 12:39:11 EDT 2022

Regarding geometrical explanations, some more musings...

* An important objection to my suggestion that antenna-dependent
collimation offsets might be pushing the effective pointing of each
antenna's primary away from the target source (such that the drives
effectively rotate them for a direction different from that of the
source, and differentially among antennas) is that we might have
expected this to show a more interesting band-dependence. But what if
the whole feed cabin, as a unit, were not quite centered properly at the
vertex (probably by rotation, not translation, about the primary's focus
point), such that all of the feeds nominally point to a convergence
point not on the symmetry axis of the primary (i.e., the boresight
line).  In this case, I think all of the feeds (per antenna) would
suffer the same collimation rotation (w.r.t. the primary's axis)
relative to nominal, and thus force the same net boresight pointing
offset. Would it be interesting to compare the scale of inter-antenna
collimation offsets with the scale of (per-antenna) inter-band
collimation offsets?   If the latter are smaller than the former, then a
common (per antenna) collimation offset could be relevant. Do we have
any idea what the (band-independent) per antenna collimation offsets are
/absolutely/?   I.e., how the feed cabin is oriented w.r.t. the
primary?   What is the spec on placement of the whole EVLA feed cabin (I
seem to recall it was a tight fit....)?   I don't know how this is
easily pinned down now if degrees of freedom in pointing will compensate
for it. (Remember, what we are seeing are net differential effects
between antennas, in their peculiar departures from the simple spherical
geometry that governs how Az/El motion /is driven /to track a point on
the sky.)

* I think maybe displacement of the subrefector mount (w.r.t. the
primary's symmetry axis), so as to similarly asymmetrize the primary
optics (and possibly done deliberately to accommodate the feed cabin
positioning?), could also do something like this, but again one must
think carefully about what band-dependence should be expected.   (I
haven't managed to conclude anything on that.)

* And what about perpendicularity of the elevation axes w.r.t. the Az
axis?   For a reasonably correct Az axis orientation (vertical w.r.t.
array center location coords), I think the Az rotation compensation
required near the zenith to keep up with the source would yield the even
symmetry effect.  I.e., at transit, (I think) a tilt in the elevation
axis in a vertical E-W plane would look like a longitude offset in the
antenna position (which causes even).  Is the effect correlated with the
elevation axes' perpendicularity?    This strikes me as a promising
possibility if the even symmetry is the dominant one.  Residuals to this
are then due to Az tilt (which must have /some/ effect) and other
similar things at lower levels, including the hysteresis evident in most
of Rick's vs-Elevation plots of antennas with large even symmetry
effects (i.e., falling el actually doesn't quite match rising el)...

-George