[evlatests] More plots to illustrate ... what?

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Mon Mar 28 18:57:11 EDT 2022

The suggestion made by Barry and others that some elevation- and
antenna- dependent effect (like droopy cables)  is responsible for the
weird R-L phase plots was investigated this afternoon.

     As expected, for those antennas showing 'even' symmetry, plots of
that phase difference against elevation showed very nice alignment for
all four sources.  For these (few) antennas, the dominant factor is
elevation-dependent.

     The question of the effects of the reference antenna is important,
so I spent a good part of the afternoon looking at this as well.

Bottom line is:  The choice of reference antenna is important, but the
overall message remains unchanged.  Some antennas show an 'even'
symmetry with HA, some antennas show an 'odd' symmetry.

As it turned out, my choice last week of ea10 as the reference was
probably the worst one I could have made -- ea10 has nearly the largest
'odd' symmetry pattern, which made more antennas look 'odd' than there
probably are.  After trying a number of reference antennas, I chose
ea09, as this resulted in the largest number of antennas with 'even'
profiles.

I also simplified the processing.  The plots made Friday made use of
both 'FRING" (to remove the delays) and 'CALIB' (to form the
antenna-based solutions).  For the attached plots today, only 'CALIB'
was used, on a narrow range of central channels.   I'm also using
1-minute averages in the solutions, as shorter time intervals introduce
effects due to the 'delay clunking'.  (These are C configuration data,
so short-duration solutions show much scatter due to this effect).

Attached are the R-L phase plots, as functions of (a) Hour Angle, and
(b) Elevation, for all antennas (except ea17, which had some serious
weirdness unrelated to the issues being discussed.)  These data are from
C-band.  There are four plots per attachment.

For all plots:

3C286 (dec = 30.3) is RED

OQ208 (dec = 28.5) is LIGHT GREEN

3C273 (dec = 2.0) is TEAL (darkish green)

3C287 (dec = 25.2) is BLUE.

*Some observations:*

     The plots against elevation show the dominant effect for most
antennas -- a simple elevation dependence of the R-L phase.  The
outstanding examples are ea01 and ea22.   Although these are the
cleanest (meaning, all four sources follow the same curve), most
antennas have some (smaller) dependence on elevation as well. Note that
the phase range can be remarkably large -- 3 to 4 degrees for ea01, 3,
5, 6, 8, and 22.  Note also that the sign of the phase change is always
the same -- positive -- meaning the change in 'R' is larger than than in
'L'.

     But not all antennas show this dependency.  The use of ea09 as
reference has removed many antennas from the 'odd' symmetry, but not
all. The plots against HA show that some antennas retain significant
'odd' symmetry:  ea10, ea16, and ea18 are the best examples.  Note here
however that there is little sign of elevation dependence in these
antennas' phase difference.  Also note that in all cases, the magnitude
of the variation is smaller than the 'even' effects noted above.

     Finally, some antennas are just different.  ea15 is the best
example -- something else entirely going on here.

*So -- What to Do?*

   There are at least three different things going on here.  If we are
to pursue these issues, I advise starting with the simplest and largest
-- the elevation-dependent 'even' phase.  It has the cleanest signature,
and the largest amplitude.  The antennas with the largest and cleanest
(meaning, other dependencies are much smaller) effects are ea01, ea03,
ea05, ea06, and ea22.

     I'm willing to conduct specialized tests, but note that, being in
the A configuration is not the most optimum for tests involving phase...

Rick