[evlatests] More on R-L phases

TK Sridharan tksridha at nrao.edu
Sun Apr 17 15:12:41 EDT 2022

The parallactic angle calculated for a target, geographical location and time is only realized for polarization and applicable to an observation in an ideal situation, where the orientation of the feed polarization aligns with the

vertical circle. I think of cross-hairs tied to the pupil with a misalignment to the vertical, rotated with respect to the vertical. For me, it is easier to visualize in terms of linear polarization, and as already noted, this rotation

becomes a phase difference for circulars.

The applicable rotation is about the boresight optical axis and the feeds might have been installed aligned to a mechanical azimuth vertical circle. Telescope mount errors, modeled by the pointing model, connect the mechanical

orientation and optical orientation.

Rick has already zeroed in on one component of the mount error viz., the azimuth  axis tilt. The key aspect of the azimuth axis tilt in the current context is that the required pointing correction in azimuth is a function of elevation, with a tan(el) dependence. The resulting azimuth corrections result in a rotation of the polarization orientation (pupil cross-hair), or a phase difference for circulars, which blows up with elevation. The aztilt also

causes elevation errors, but the azimuth pointing corrections are more important than elevation corrections due to the tan(el) elevation dependence. The impact of elevation corrections remain at the same level as their actual (small) error values, whereas the azimuth corrections scale up several fold as tan(el), leading to a large effect.

Now, there are two other mount errors that have a similar character – the azimuth collimation error which has a 1/cos(el) dependence, and the elevation axis tilt which has a tan(el) dependence, same as the aztilt. A full accounting of the phase errors that Rick has observed should consider these parameters of the mount error model (the pointing model) as well. I expect that these parameters are of larger magnitude (the azcoll in particular, from experience with other telescopes) and may resolve the current poor detailed matching of the observed phases to the actual known antenna parameters - only aztilt has been considered so far, where there was not a match in magnitude

or correlation with actual values. This can also solve the other issue that bothered me - of the width of the patterns seen with hour angle, which appear to be wider than the aztilt-only interpretation: 1/cos(el) is wider than

tan(el). I think there is nothing fundamentally special about aztilt, except that it is equivalent to placing an antenna at a different location, which allowed Rick to calculate the expected errors relatively easily. These

are all mount errors which impact the realized polarization position angle relative to the feeds. A proper analysis should consider the actual antenna locations and their respective mount errors which lead to different rotations of the polarization position angle. Field rotation for the just the (ideal) parallactic angle alone when calibrating is not sufficient (in addition to the geocentric/geodetic question George pointed out, except that this does not change from antenna to antenna).

George has already provided an explanation for the results on R-L phases, which makes sense to me.

In summary, I think that the geometrical interpretation appears to be alive and well and looking at additional mount errors may provide a path for detailed matching. I intended to make some plots to show the expected patterns, but

haven't gotten to a point where I can present something sensible, but wanted to share the thought, nevertheless, for whatever it is worth.

Hopefully, this is helpful.

Cheers,

TK.

The expressions for mount errors, if someone would like to look at this more closely before I get to it, are:

(e.g. N. Patel & T. K. Sridharan, 2004, SPIE, "Pointing calibration of the SMA antennas", Proc. SPIE 5496, Advanced Software, Control, and Communication Systems for Astronomy, (15 September 2004); https://doi.org/10.1117/12.549655))

dAz = AzDC + AzC/cos(El) +TEl*tan(El) + TAz*(sin(Az-Azt)*tan(El)

dEl = ElDC + ElSag + TAz*cos(Az-Azt)

dAz, dEl: az and el pointing errors from mount errors.

AzDC : Encoder offset

AzC  : Azimuth Collimation error

TEl  : Tilt, Elevation axis

TAz  : Tilt, Azimuth axis

Azt  : Direction of Azimuth axis tilt

ElDC : Elevation encoder offset + Elevation collimation error

ElSag: Sag function in elevation

Only the dAz expression and the last three terms there would be important contributors.