[evlatests] R-L Phase Differences -- a 'simple' explanation

rperley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 1 12:41:37 EDT 2022

There is a simple explanation for the R-L phase differentials -- a
differential tilt between the two antennas.  If the two antennas' poles
point in slightly different directions, the parallactic angles seen by
each are different, which results in a different measured phase for the
two polarizations.

For the 'RR' correlation, the phase difference is -(delta par angle),
for the 'LL' correlation, it is +(delta par angle), so the R-L
difference is twice the difference is parallactic angle between the two
antennas.

This effect is independent of band -- it is purely geometrical.

To show how these differentials vary with source declination, I
generated plots for the four sources observed:  3C286 (dec = 30.5),
OQ208 (dec = 28.5), 3C287 (dec = 25.2), and 3C273 (dec = 2.1).  I
generated curves for a E-W tilt, and a N-S tilt.

Attached is the resulting plot, showing the predicted R-L phase in
degrees as a function of Hour Angle, for the four sources.  Solid lines
are for an E-W tilt, Dashed lines for N-S tilt.

The match to the observed data is extremely good.  (To be fair, the
match to the largest of the 'even' tilts is extremely good).  But I bet
that a suitable combination of E-W and N-S tilts would give a good fit
to almost all of the data.

There is only one problem -- the amplitude of the tilt required to give
the size of the observed phase is about 5 times larger than the largest
measured tilt.  The plots were generated with a tilt differential
(between the two antennas) of 6 arcminutes.

So, if this model has any relevance, it begs the question:  How do we
measure the antenna tilts?  Are these tilts different than those used in
the model?

Rick