[evlatests] Polarization calibration for separated 3-bit observations

rperley rperley at nrao.edu
Tue Aug 10 16:24:16 EDT 2021

In June, I attempted polarization calibration on a database made up from
combining many separate short observations, each made with an identical
SB, in 3-bit mode.  The polarization calibration failed miserably.

The cause was soon found (by Vivek and Ken) to originate in the setup of
the individual SBs:  Contention between setting the slope equalizers and
the T304 digital gains resulted in an essentially random phase offset
for every antenna, for every individual observation.  With no antenna
with the same (R-L) phase, the usual procedures for polarization
calibration fail.

This unhappy state of affairs can be handled in calibration *if* each
individual observation as both an unpolarized calibrator (for antenna
calibration), *and* an observation of a strongly polarized source (to
set the R-L phase).  In the tests referred to above, I had neither.

But if each individual SB has an observation of 3C286 (or another
strongly polarized source of known PA), we should be able to set the R-L
phase differences in advance, without the need for having corrected for
the antenna polarizations first.  This should work because the
fractional polarization of 3C286 is much greater than that of any of the
antennas.

By happenstance, I have been able to confirm this procedure works.  I'm
working with four SBs, each an hour long, taken in May of some GRB.
Each has an observation of 3C286 for flux calibration, but no inclusion
of an unpolarized source.  The local calibrator has 2 -- 3%
polarization, so is unsuitable for the usual zero-polarization
determination of the antenna polarization.  Simply combining the
databases, and executing the usual polarization calibration, gave
bizarre solutions (as expected).

The procedure which worked (well) was:

1) Calibrate each SB for parallel-hand gains, as usual.
2) Using 3C286, determine the cross-hand delays as usual, then apply the
R-L phase determined by the mean phase difference between R and L
channels, without attempting an antenna polarization calibration.
3) Then combine the databases (DBCON).
4) Run PCAL, to determine the antenna polarizations.
5) Again determine the R-L phase (using 3C286), and apply.

This resulted in an excellent solution, as judged by the determined
fractional polarization of 3C286 and the nearby phase calibrator.

I had to do some 'AIPSian' tricks in the above, as it is important that
the SN and CL table align properly when combining the databases.  No
doubt the details will change if attempted in CASA.

Ken informs me that the underlying procedures for setting the slope
equalizers and T304 attenuators will be changed soon (perhaps already
done?).  He expects R-L phases to be much more stable between individual
SBs -- but of course we'll need to test this once the changes are in.