[evlatests] A most interesting RFI event

Walter Brisken wbrisken at nrao.edu
Thu Apr 8 12:54:29 EDT 2021

Hi Rick,

With fairly high certainty, the event on Mar 13 was GPS satellite PRN
27  (SCN 38833).  I calculate its coordinates as:

Date      Time (UTC) RA           Dec         Range (m)    Az      El
2021MAR13 18h33m00s  5h40m35.67s  50d01'00.4" 2.37510e+04  41.0596 17.8700

I suspect the one you see the next day is also a GPS satellite.

I calculated a while back that within the 10 MHz transmission band a GPS
satellite is approximately 12 MJy.

 	-Walter

Walter Brisken
NRAO
Deputy Assistant Director for VLBA Development
(505)-234-5912 (cell)
(575)-835-7133 (office; not useful during COVID times)