[evlatests] High Resolution L-band Antenna Holography Images

rperley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 2 16:23:26 EDT 2021

There was considerable unused time during the recent A -> D
configuration move.  I utilized these empty blocks to generate
high-resolution images of the E-field illumination of the VLA antennas
at L-band.  In all, 14 separate observations were required to piece
together the 101 x 101 grid.  Half of the sample (l,m) plane was done in
a single 16-hour block, the outer areas required the additional 13
smaller observations.

There was no specific goal in doing this -- the results are of no use
for antenna panel settings, as these are done with high frequency
holography.  It was anticipated the diffractive effects will dominate
the images -- and they do, as a quick peruse of the attached images will
show.  One useful result of this effort will perhaps be an understanding
of the origin of the complex structures seen in these images.

To keep data volumes with reason, I elected to correlate only two
spectral windows.  (I regret this, in hindsight).  Scheduling was
tricky, as the target source (3C147, conveniently unpolarized) transits
at a high elevation (76 degrees), which when combined with the large
throw angles (up to 18 degrees) can make for long travel times in
azimuth.  As many of the antennas were in the D configuration, shadowing
is a major concern.  And, as the pointing position of the 'moving'
antennas is often very different (18 degrees different) than that of the
reference antennas, the standing shadowing algorithm is not valid.  Eric
Greisen wrote a special new task (SHAHO) to generate the appropriate
shadow flags for both moving and reference antennas for holography.

Six reference antennas were employed.  The resulting images are from the
phased sum of the reference antennas correlated against the phased sum
of the moving antennas.  SNR is good, even for the furthest-out pointing
positions (where the RR and LL voltage correlations are down about -30
dB w.r.t. the center).  I have not yet attempted individual antenna
images.

The on-axis cross-polarization has been removed, and the displayed
images are properly in the antenna frame of reference.

Attached are 4 PDF files, showing the antenna complex electric field
weighting, for the two frequencies (1445 and 1820 MHz).  Both sets are
made with only 18 MHz bandwidth, to prevent spectral blurring of the
outer regions of the beams.

The files ending in 'CORR' show the four correlations:  RR, LL, RL and
LR from left to right.  The amplitudes are in the top row, the phases in
the bottom.  Greyscales are not the same -- the parallel hands use an
amplitude wedge from 2 to 120 units, phases from -100 to +100 degrees.
The cross-hand patterns have amplitudes from 2 to 60, and phases -180 to
180.

The files ending in 'IQUV' show the Stokes images, I, V, Q, U from left
to right.  Amplitudes on top, phases below.  Greyscales are the same as
for the correlator images -- 2 to 120 for 'I', and 2 to 60 for 'Q, U,
and V'.  Phases -100 to 100 for I, -180 to 180 for Q, U, V.

The physical resolution of these images is about 30cm -- the highest yet
done for VLA antennas at any band.  The Fourier transforms were done
without weighting, so the 'dirty beam' is a perfect Fraunhoffer
diffraction pattern, since the sampling region is a perfect square (with
a few holes due to missing data points).  I'll later try imaging with a
taper, to reduce the ringing (at the cost of resolution).

The obvious first conclusion is that diffraction is responsible for the
fine-scale structure seen in the images.  Beyond that, I'll cheerfully
admit that I don't have explanations for any of the curious features
seen in these images.

It would be very interest to match these results against simulations
produced by, for example, GRASP8.

I have the calibrated data files (amplitude phase as a function of
offset direction cosines) carefully (painfully, actually) extracted from
the 14 databases, available to all.

I proper memo is under construction.

At a later time, I"ll distribute what the beam images look like.

Rick