[evlatests] 8-bit PDif/Psum compression meeting

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 20 17:54:59 EDT 2012

    The 'PDif Compression' problem, which is notable at all bands, but
is particularly troublesome at P, L, and S bands, is still wanting an
explanation.  By all accounts, 'it can't happen'.  But it does.

    I've reserved Rm 280 at 9AM tomorrow (Friday), with the purpose of
reviewing the characteristics of this effect, and with the hope of
generating some useful tests for its origin.   If this time presents a
real problem, let me know ASAP, with suggestions for an alternate time
(not date).

    Note that we're focusing on the problem as seen with the 8-bit
system.  The '3-bit compression' problem, while much worse by some
measures, is understood to arise with the expected overflow of the 3-bit
samplers, and is hence correctable (at least in theory).  It may well be
that the additional problem plaguing the 8-bit system may exist within
the 3-bit system, but this is not yet known.

    Rick