[evlatests] Crazy phase winding at Ku-band

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Wed Jun 20 15:20:44 EDT 2012

    A 30 minute test file was run last evening, with the goal of
checking for discrepant Tcal values.  As usual, the most curious issues
found are the unanticipated ones...  One in particular deserves a
special note.

    At Ku band, I tuned the AC and BD IFs to 13.2 and 16.8 GHz (center),
with the usual 128 MHz subband width (using the old 'OSRO' mode to keep
the data volume to within manageable levels).  The BD IFs give lovely
stable fringes (like all other bands), but the AC IFs gave highly
different visibility ampliltudes amongst various baselines.  FRING
failed to find stable delay solutions on this IF, so I took a closer look:

    The phases are spinning at rates at or above 1 Hz!  Only a few
baselines show trackable phases, and these bear no spatial relation to
one other.  For example, antennas 4, 14, and 23 give trackable winding
phases amongst themselves.  These antennas are each located near the
middle of the arms.   It would thus appear that these rapid phase
windings are not the result of bad geometry, or bad frequency.
    However, the baselines with slowly winding phases are not those with
the highest amplitudes!   There does appear to be a preference for the
baselines with high amplitudes to be adjacent.

    My best guess is that we have, for this IF only, a phase rate of a
few Hz, which may have a relation on antenna location.  Why this
happened for this band, and this IF only, while leaving all others
unaffected, is beyond me.