[evlatests] EVLA & Satellite interference

Vivek Dhawan vdhawan at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 3 12:23:25 EDT 2009

For a satellite of known orbit, VLA az/el is easy to get - e.g. I can
confirm that Rick's S-band measurements, reported last week, hit one of
the 3 Sirius satellites which wander all over the sky. There are also 4
XM birds perched at fixed locations.

More generally, the orbits (when public) are available at an excellent
site run by T.S. Kelso:      http://celestrak.com/
About 1200 active satellites are listed, my guess is about a third are
potential sources- e.g. there are 380 geostationary satellites, 140 of
which are over the horizon at the VLA.

Frequencies of satellites are known to varying degrees, I do not know if
someone has a reliable list out there, or if NRAO is up to date on this.
I bet almost every transmitter is between 1-50 GHz.

I am open to suggestions as to what we can or should do, and who should
spend time on it. I am prepared to generate orbits for specific requests,
(which take some minutes to set up and automate for future updates),
but not too much more.

No surprize here - this is one of those despoiled commons that everyone
decries but no one, including me, wants to spend time on.

Vivek.