[evlatests] antenna 28 pointing still bad

Bob Broilo bbroilo at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 25 13:58:41 EST 2008

>> Also, the magnitude of the "bump" should change according to the
>> direction from which it is approached.  Is this true?
>
> That can't be determined from the pointing run data.  We would
> have to craft a special test to look for that.  Could be done
> if it were useful.

Yes, I believe it would be useful.  The bearing looks better than a
"typical" VLA bearing from slop standpoint.  I went back and forth
over the bad spot, which we don't normally do, to try to explain the
pointing errors.  The bearing only moves relative to it's other race
in that area, and only for a short radial distance after the direction
change.

If the error does not change sign with direction changes, then the
bearing is eliminated.  If the error does, but only in the area of 110
to 140 degrees, then the bearing is very likely the culprit.

Bob.