[evlatests] Antenna 28 Encoder question

Jim Jackson jjackson at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 13 10:08:33 EST 2008

After discussions yesterday between myself, Ken Sowinski and Mark
McKinnon, I still have to wonder about some form of crosstalk between
the analog electronics in the AZ and EL encoders. It seems strange
that on Ken's plots there is both an EL component in the AZ plot and
a different AZ component in the EL plot.  While this obviously can't
be occurring across the digital fiber connections from the encoders,
is there any common DC power supply or reference signal that is
feeding the analog electronics in both encoders? If so, you may want
to look for noise, isolation or grounding problems associated with
these common components. Also, were any components common to both
encoders in something that was replaced yesterday (particularly a DC
power supply)?

I may just be grasping at straws here but this would certainly be an
attractive alternative to any major mechanical problem like the
Azimuth bearing.

Cheers,
Jim