[evlatests] ea28 pointing woes

Ken Sowinski ksowinsk at nrao.edu
Tue Nov 4 17:53:31 EST 2008

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, VLA Operations wrote:

> Filename:       2008-11-04_0814_POINT
> Program:        POINT                Subarray(s):        1
> Observer(s):    Operations           Operator(s):        Tom Briscoe
> Date:           11/04/2008           Configuration:      A
> User #:        64                    Decommissioned:     9
> Source File(s): sysptgX              VLBI Ref. Ant:
> Observing Mode: Continuum            VLBI Antenna Pad:
> Email Address:  ptg/bl

There was a five hour pointing run last night.  Though it was
a bit breezy, it is clear that ea28 does not point well.  Many
pointing trials were rejected and the fit was very poor.  The
servo group is aware that there is a problem in azimuth tracking
ans ia working to repair it.  The solution for tilt seems robust,
but I am very hesitant to trust it when we know the ACU is
misbehaving.  I recommend we do not move the antenna until the
ACU is known to be working and we have a good pointing result
in hand.