[Difx-users] difx2mark4 bug {External}

R. Craig Walker cwalker at nrao.edu
Wed Feb 14 12:06:08 EST 2024

Note that SCHED preserves the case of the station codes in the catalog.
But if you specify station names by code in a schedule file, the
comparison with the catalog is done case independent. Upper case
versions of both are compared.  So, if you specify two stations in the
catalog with the same letters, just different cases, you can end up with
problems.

SCHED also allows the use of 3 characters which I think will become more
important as the bigger arrays come on line.  They might need to be even
longer.  At some point, one wonders if the codes are even that useful.
I think their main advantage is when making human readable tables, such
as those in Sched of baseline lengths, they can be reasonably compact.
Maybe there should be just one name/code with a maximum character
count.  Even as it is, there are multiple antennas in the catalog with
the same code - usually different antennas or pads at single stations
such as the VLA or the DSN stations.

Cheers,

Craig