[Difx-users] DiFX workshop, 2023? {External}

Adam Deller adeller at astro.swin.edu.au
Sun Mar 12 20:56:39 EDT 2023

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Walter has confirmed the
availability of a suitable meeting space at NRAO Socorro, and there was
near-universal support for NRAO Socorro for a destination, so I think we
can consider that endorsed (if you object, speak up now!).

Regarding dates, while most respondees could make most of the candidate
slots, there was (as expected) no single slot that everyone could make.
Slightly inconveniently, there was not even a slightly preferred date - the
distribution of responses basically flat across all 4 options! One point
that was raised was that for people travelling internationally, there may
be a benefit in placing the workshop close to another relevant meeting in
time, for instance the iVTW (whose date is not yet known) or ADASS (which
is Nov 5-9).  If anyone knows the timeline on which the IVTW meeting date
might be decided, please chime in!

While we've traditionally been pretty informal about these things, I would
welcome anyone who wanted to actively participate in planning the meeting
to raise their hands - if there is interest we can form an SOC to take on
the tasks of planning out a schedule, etc.  To faciliate meeting planning,
I started a google doc with some suggested topics, expanding on a list that
Walter started - you can find it at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g5N2qPgdfA1hGhveZlScHi57tJ4ISTKgPiirGQwb2A4/edit.
It is world-writable so please don't make unilateral subtractions, although
unilateral additions are fine!  I have updated the meetings page on the
DiFX wiki (https://www.atnf.csiro.au/vlbi/dokuwiki/doku.php/difx/meetings)
to point at this google doc via the nextmeetings page, but I hope that
using google docs will make it easier for everyone to contribute, rather
than needing to get a wiki account.

Cheers,
Adam

--