[Difx-users] complex support

Jayce Dowell jdowell at unm.edu
Thu Feb 4 15:01:10 EST 2021

Hi Adam, Chris, and Cormac,

I'm working the data from the Long Wavelength Array and I am trying to
see if we can move from our homegrown correlator to DiFX.  The two modes
I need to support are a LWA-only mode with homogeneous data and an
"eLWA" mode with heterogeneous data that combines the LWA stations with
the VLA 4-band system.  For the LWA-only mode I have 4+4-bit complex
voltage data from two 19.6 MHz wide spectral windows.  I am currently
converting these data from the LWA format into two VDIF files, one per
window, for correlation with DiFX.  My .input file describes the data as:

DATA FORMAT:        INTERLACEDVDIF/0:1
QUANTISATION BITS:  4
DATA FRAME SIZE:    7872
DATA SAMPLING:      COMPLEX_DSB
DATA SOURCE:        FILE

and I can at least run mpifxcorr without any fatal errors at this point.
  The auto-correlations suggest that something in my VDIF conversion is
off.  I need to look at that a little more closely before I try the
suggestion of using trunk instead of my current 2.6.2 installation.

I am less sure about DiFX supporting our eLWA mode.  For this we have
the same 4+4-bit complex voltage data from the LWA stations but with a
bandwidth of 9.8 MHz.  We are combining this with 4-bit real voltages
from the VLA with 8 MHz of bandwidth and a slightly different frequency
setup.  We currently process these data by shifting the center frequency
of the LWA data to match that of the VLA, running two F-engines with
different channelization to arrive at the same channel width for both
data sources, and then cross correlate what overlaps.  Is this mode
something that DiFX supports?

Jayce