[Difx-users] How to read difx2fits output

Adam Deller adeller at astro.swin.edu.au
Sun Aug 29 04:16:07 EDT 2021

Hi Rebecca,

I have a script called fits_compare.py that diff's two FITS-IDI files that
are supposed to be identical (i.e., same antennas, integration time, etc).
It was always a bit of hack/check code and is probably not very user
friendly.  If you want I can put it on github so you can get it - it also
has a dependency on some helper functions that are available in
https://github.com/dingswin/psrvlbireduce/, but there's every chance that
it won't work out of the box and I don't have any time to debug it at the
moment.  But let me know if you'd like me to make it available and try
investigating it.

Cheers,
Adam

On Sun, 29 Aug 2021 at 07:57, Rebecca Lin via Difx-users <
difx-users at listmgr.nrao.edu> wrote:

> Hi Leonid,
>
> Thanks for pointing me to the documentation! I'm hoping to compare
> visibilities from my correlation pipeline to the output from DiFX.
>
> Best,
>   Rebecca
>
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 at 13:16, Leonid Petrov <Leonid.Petrov at lpetrov.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Rebeca,
>>
>> > I'm wondering if there is documentation on how information is stored in
>> the
>> > fits file
>>
>>   Sure:
>>
>> ftp://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/software/aips/TEXT/PUBL/AIPSMEM114.PDF
>>
>> > and how to plot the visibilities.
>>
>>   Usually, these plots are useless. There are exceptions, but generally,
>> you need process the data first to see any signal. You can develop your
>> own software for visibility analysis or try to use existing packages,
>> whichever you prefer. But it is not easy. Depending on the problem,
>> mastering data analysis may take from months (though this sounds
>> very optimistic) till ... all your life. Good luck.
>>
>> > I'm mainly wondering where the
>> > complex visibilities are stored in the fits file.
>>
>>   In section UV_DATA. See AIPSMEM114.PDF for details.
>>
>> Leonid
>> 2021.08.28_13:09:41

A/Prof. Adam Deller
ARC Future Fellow
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing
Swinburne University of Technology
John St, Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
phone: +61 3 9214 5307
fax: +61 3 9214 8797