[Difx-users] How to do a clock-search?

Adam Deller adeller at astro.swin.edu.au
Fri Nov 27 18:34:44 EST 2020

Hi Eskil,

Whenever I've needed to do something like this (massive clock search) in
the past I've avoided converting to fits or mark4 and just searched for
fringes in the raw difx files directly.  There is a program
utilities/vis2screen/fringeFindDiFX.py that just does a simple FFT based
search on individual integrations, if you've got the S/N for that.
Otherwise, a shell script with a loop is likely to be your friend. Others
might have different shortcuts they've developed though.

Cheers,
Adam

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 at 10:29, Eskil Varenius via Difx-users <
difx-users at listmgr.nrao.edu> wrote:

> Dear DiFX users,
>
> I find myself wanting to explore a huge (1 second) space of possible
> clock offsets. Testing with spectral resolution 0.01 works fine, but
> only covers roughly +-50us. Trying the next power of 10, DiFX 2.6.2 runs
> but difx2mark4 fails, reporting
>
> "fatal error: # visibilities (32000) exceeds array dimension (8192)"
>
> Does anyone have a working method for how to clock-search the full
> 1-second space?
> (Shifting the clock_early values in VEX/v2d by 100us and stepping
> through using 0.01 resolution should work, but there must be a more
> elegant way?)
>
> Kind regards
>
> Eskil

A/Prof. Adam Deller
ARC Future Fellow
Centre for Astrophysics & Supercomputing
Swinburne University of Technology
John St, Hawthorn VIC 3122 Australia
phone: +61 3 9214 5307
fax: +61 3 9214 8797