[Difx-users] Question : What library/code is DiFX using to read VDIF files

Paul Demorest pdemores at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 19 22:56:31 EDT 2020

hi all,

Not sure I have a whole lot to add here, but a couple quick comments
about the VDIF capabilites in dspsr..

The main thing is that it only handles a pretty specific flavor of VDIF,
namely single-thread with either one or two polarization channels.  If
this is a one-off data analysis project I would probably recommend just
munging your data into this format using vmux before feeding it into
dspsr.  I've done this occasionally for various projects, it's a little
kludgey but works fine.  If this is something that will need to be done
more often you could think about generalizing the dspsr VDIF reader.

Also, it looks like the vdifio-based code that dspsr uses may already
have some modifications to read legacy headers.  Apparently Andrew
Jameson put this in about a year ago, I don't have any experience using
it though.

Cheers,
Paul