[Difx-users] Native Mark5 and Mark6 update

Walter Brisken wbrisken at nrao.edu
Mon Jun 15 09:28:57 EDT 2020

Hi DiFX users,

NRAO is in the process of retiring its last Mark5 units.  Without these
available, performing maintenance on the native Mark5 playback
capabilities within DiFX code will be near impossible.

At the same time, I've been improving support for VDIF playback for
file and native Mark6 playback.  Working code is in a new branch of
mpifxcorr: https://svn.atnf.csiro.au/difx/mpifxcorr/branches/fixvmux .
The updates include more flexible use of the "vdif multiplexer" which is
used to bundle together all of the VDIF threads into a single internal
VDIF thread which can be handled downstream within mpifxcorr.  The code
changes have interfered with support for multi-threaded VDIF playback from
Mark5 units, so it is likely that this specific kind of Mark5 playback
will be disabled in the next major DiFX release.

If anyone is interested in testing the new code, you can check out the
development (or "trunk") DiFX code as you normally would and then replace
the checked-out mpifxcorr with the code at the branch above.  I'd be
interested in any feedback.  In the current version, the maximum "thread
skew" (separation in bytes between any to frames A and B, where A occurs
eariler in the file than B and where B has a timestamp that is less than
or equal to that of A) that is likely to yield good weights is
approximately the size of the "Baseband read size (MB)" (as reported by
difxcalculator), which tends to be about 20 MB using default parameters
for wide-band observing modes.  These can be tweaked in the .v2d file with
minReadSize and maxReadSize.

There hasn't been recent discussion of the next major DiFX release (likely
called 2.7 or 3.0), but I expect to merge these fixes into trunk before
the next version gets created.  I expect there will be another minor
release of the 2.6 series before that in the not too distant future.

 	-Walter

Walter Brisken
NRAO
Deputy Assistant Director for VLBA Development
(575)-835-7133 (office)
(505)-234-5912 (cell)