[Difx-users] zoom/recband and ACCOR for DiFX 2.6.1

Jan Wagner jwagner105 at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 9 07:42:58 EST 2019

Hi Adam,

the raw spectra looked consistent (plotDiFX.py, m5spec) and there
were no large DC offsets nor large Nyquist bin amplitudes.

The ACCOR scaling issue turned out to be related in some way to
duplicate autocorrelation entries in difx output. DiFX produced
autocorrelations for the 32 MHz wide recorded bands (LSB), but in
addition also produced autocorrelations for the 32 MHz wide zoom
bands. In our test case the zooms are just the USB-flipped version
of the recorded LSB bands. So in a sense the USB zoom & LSB recband
autocorrelation records are redundant as they sample the same sky
frequency range.

Two workarounds were independently successful for ACCOR:

1 - original vex2difx, correlate, filter afterwards and remove
redundant non-zoom autocorrelations, difx2fits conversion,
FITLD&ACCOR: scaling is correct

2 - modified vex2difx so baselines reference only the zoom bands,
recorrelate, no not filter but just run difx2fits, FITLD&ACCOR:
scaling is correct

Still not 100% sure what the actual issue is that triggers ACCOR
mis-scaling. It was surprising that even though DiFX output from (2)
still contains redundant autocorrelations, AIPS ACCOR worked fine
and there was no need for .difx pre-filtering as in (1).

The vex2difx modification was prompted by strange default vex2difx
behaviour. Vex2difx chooses zooms for the first station on a
baseline, but for the second station it prefers recorded bands over
zoom bands. And it ignores the 'noparent=true' of those latter
zooms, that ought to have blocked the parents of those zooms from
correlation.

To illustrate...

v2d: addZoomFreq = freq at 86348.00/bw at 32.0/noparent at true

inputfile produced by vex2difx:
Ys zoom 86348U 32.0 x Ef rec 86380L 32.0
Ef zoom 86348U 32.0 x Ys rec 86380L 32.0
On zoom 86348U 32.0 x Ys rec 86380L 32.0

I.e. vex2difx ends up correlating zoom x recorded parent, instead of
zoom x zoom. I've added a small change to trunk vex2difx (commit
r9362). Now addZoomFreq 'noparent=true' gets honoured when looking
for a matching band at the second station, and the vex2difx result
is closer to expected, e.g.,

inputfile produced by updated vex2difx (r9362):
Ys zoom 86348U 32.0 x Ef zoom 86348U 32.0
Ef zoom 86348U 32.0 x Ys zoom 86348U 32.0
On zoom 86348U 32.0 x Ys zoom 86348U 32.0

Like mentioned earlier when I recorrelate with this proper zoom x
zoom -only inputfile, the final resultant FITS yielded normal
corrections in ACCOR. Perhaps difx2fits treats USB zoom x LSB
recband somehow differently and adjusts the auto spectra, and treats
correctly rec x rec or zoom x zoom cases and their auto spectra...

Anyway, our issue is sort of fixed in DiFX trunk now. Or at least
worked around...

It is curious though that even with zoom x zoom -only baselines the
DiFX output still has redundant autocorrelations from rec bands, e.g.,

Ef-Ef auto 86348U 32.0 from zoom
Ef-Ef auto 86380L 32.0 from rec band
Ys-Ys auto 86348U 32.0 from zoom
Ys-Ys auto 86380L 32.0 from rec band

A question is whether those redundant autocorrelations (zoom +
recband) should truly be present in the DiFX output?

Looking at DiFX configuration.cpp, all frequencies referenced from
the BASELINE table are set to 'frequsedbybaseline[<fqId>] = true'.
This marks them so that autocorrelation spectra will be output. In
our case those would be zoom band autocorrelations.

However, configuration.cpp adds the concept of "equivalent
frequency". All frequencies in the FREQ table that are unreferenced
by any BASELINE are compared against the frequencies used on the
baselines. When an unreferenced frequency matches one actually used
on a baseline (same sky freq range, same bandwidth) then that
unreferenced frequency gets set 'equivfrequsedbybaseline[<fqId>] =
true'.

In our test case the zoom x zoom baselines (with autocorrelations
via 'frequsedbybaseline[<fqId>] = true') have matching recorded
bands or recorded frequencies that are not producing visibility
data, but, they will nevertheless be enabled for output of
(redundant) autocorrelations via the "equivalent frequency" check.

Does this 'equivfrequsedbybaseline' still have an active legit use?

Or is it maybe a leftover from DiFX 2.5?

Are the auto spectra of frequencies not utilized by any BASELINE
still useful somewhere for calibration?

regards,
Jan