[Difx-users] Handling lin-pol data with difx2fits

Rick Perley rperley at nrao.edu
Fri Apr 12 10:22:50 EDT 2019

     It is of course not necessary to assume either linear or circular
systems!  The proper analysis is quite generic as to the state of the
antenna polarization.  This manifests itself in the magnitude of the
off-diagonal terms in the antenna Jones matrix. If the antenna receives
linear, then it is useful to adopt a linear basis for the analysis, as
the off-diagonal terms are then very small.  The same holds true for
circular.  Small off-diagonal terms lets us make reasonable
approximations in the subsequent 'Mueller' matrix (a bad term, but it
has come into fashion to use it), simplifying the subsequent analysis
and calibration.

     For a mixed circular/linear array, most, or all off-diagonal terms
will be comparable to the diagonal -- I haven't thought much about this
for a long time, but might do so now ...

     Converting the correlations from one basis to the other is
certainly the most attractive-appearing way to handle this.  As noted
earlier, I'm not sure of the ramifications in calibration (i.e., the
practicalities of the matter).  I had done some thinking on this a year
or so ago, but was distracted by other projects.  Perhaps I'll start
working on this again.  The subject is a timely one for 'ngVLA' studies.

     Rick