[comm] Throughput on a lossy link

David Halstead dhalstea at nrao.edu
Thu May 27 19:03:27 EDT 2010

James,

Gene and I were mulling this over and remembered reading about the
bandwidth wall you hit with higher latency links with even minor packet
loss.

Baseline: To achieve a gigabit/sec throughput on a 1500MTU link with
40ms RTT you need a packet loss of less than 0.00001%!!

A loss of 0.1% gives a max throughput of ~9Mbps for a single TCP stream,
even for a 10Gig link of the same latency.

For more info see: http://sd.wareonearth.com/~phil/issues.html and

Not that this changes the plan to fix the local link to NMT, but that
problem MAY also explain the 99.9% bandwidth loss to CV due to the
1/(rtt*sqrt(loss)) term.

David