[alma_na] ALMA NA DH Teleconference Minutes

Carolyn White cwhite at NRAO.EDU
Thu Apr 11 11:04:44 EDT 2002

ALMA NA DH Teleconference - 2002-Mar-04

Attendees - Cunningham, Glendenning, Gray, Kingsley, Mangum, Perfetto,
Porter, Radford, Rafal, Sramek, Webber, White, Wootten

Rafal received a notification that there will be an AMAC meeting the last
half of June 2002 in Europe.  Rafal stated the requirements will be done
on a case by case basis.  Typically the IPT leaders will be required to
attend.  We do not have an agenda as of yet.

At the AUI trustees sub-committee meeting on ALMA they discussed the
overall planning for going into construction.  There is a strong
recommendation that the US go ahead with its funding profile; not to wait
for European funding.  Sramek requested the NA/European funding profile
viewgraph that Rafal presented at the NA DH face-to-face meeting.

Status Reports
--------------
Gray - Gray agreed to descope the original documentation system that was
presented by Tan and Oliver.  We only need to control specific areas.  And
each sub-system will be able to determine how to do there own
documentation.  Each IPT will be expected to supply the Project with its
hardware; Gray expects to have a draft within the a week or two.  The
system engineering group has reviewed Site-Scape for the Project; Oliver
is setting up a test bed at the moment.  We will use the current project
book as the first test.  Gray is also setting up an ICD list with all
sub-systems.  The design reviews process will also be overhauled; Sramek
has agreed to use the new process for the Back End PDR at ALMA week. New
documents will be added for the design review.  We continued to discuss
the new ideas Gray had for the project book.  Most users felt we should
have an overall collection of specifications.

Webber - The foundry has started to work on the custom chips and we expect
to receive them in April.  The lab started integrated tests on the
multiplier cards.  We revised the current boards to accommodate the
voltage changes, etc., and expect to send them to the foundry in late
summer.  The design of the active correlator rack is underway; metric
tooling and hardware has been ordered.

Porter - Customs office called and stated that the review of our denial
for duty free status will probably be overturned.  This will reduce the
costs for the prototype antennas.

Kingsley - We have finally resolved the software errors on the surface
panels.  The panels are coming along now.  All plant integration is going
along quite well.  The BEI encoders are finished and the final testing
will be done at the end of the week.  Kingsley met with Vertex last week
to discuss how the NRAO can integrate our components with the prototype
antenna.  Vertex has stated the complete, accepted prototype antenna will
be ready on July 29, 2002. We still need to get the information for the
European and Japanese foundation.

Perfetto - We are in the assembly mode for the holography receiver; will
be ready for test next week.  We are still waiting for parts for the
shields.  The second frame for the receiver is complete.

Radford - Mechanical parts for the nutator is in production. The material
and parts are on order for the subreflector molds.  Site development is
going well.  We are moving forward with the site characterization issues.
We have full access to instruments via satellite phones which have now
been fixed.

Sramek - Sramek needs to know when Webber needs the 3-bit digitizer at 4
GHz.  Webber stated there is no hurry; we do not need it until March/April
2003.  The interface specifications are written down.  We experienced
problems installing the ball grids on the array devices on the daughter
cards.  A company in Albuquerque will attempt to do this for us.  The
holography tower has been installed.

Glendenning - Marson and Pokorny officially took over Brooks'
responsibilities on March 1st.  Brooks will be at the NRAO offices until
July 2002. The next control software release will be completed this week.
Sramek and Glendenning will look at rack space for central computers.

ALMA week is finalized.  Baars has sent out an updated agenda.

Our next meeting will be Monday, March 11, 2002.

ALMA NA DH Teleconference - 2002-Mar-11

Attendees: Brown, Cunningham, Glendenning, Gray, Kingsley, Mangum, Payne,
Radford, Rafal, Simon, Sramek, White, Wootten

Rafal received comments on the schedule and he and Simon will incorporate
them into a new version.  Rafal will contact each person within the next
couple of days on staffing positions in the next year. Rafal stated that
the antenna testing will be done in only single dish mode with total power
deferring interferometer testing until pre-production back end components
are available. This has lots of benefits for the back end system.  Rafal
has already discussed this with numerous persons involved. Mangum confirms
this and states that he cannot see a reason that we need spectroscopy to
evaluate the prototype antennas.  Sramek will still produce the down
converter, 2nd LO, the LO reference receiver, and all the first IF
equipment for the antenna testing, as well as the M/C monitors.  We will
discontinue the up-rate converter, downconverter and we would re-direct
the data for the ALMA prototype version.  This also simplifies what the
Japanese would need for their prototype antenna; they would supply their
own receiver which would meet specifications.  We would then not use their
antenna for interferometer testing.  Due to the delays in delivery of the
prototype antennas our interferometer testing time frame has been
significantly reduced anyway.  Rafal will be discussing these issues with
the ALG before the ASAC meeting.  It will then be taken to the AEC and we
expect to have final approval within the next couple of weeks. Simon
discussed the travel budget.  Each sub-system has a management account
where Simon will move all travel monies too.  Everyone agreed this was
more appropriate.  Training is to be charged to a specific work element.
Relocation is a overhead item.  Simon will be sending out a list of
approved overhead items.

Status Reports
--------------
Sramek - We found a commercial vender to place the ball grid chips on
boards.  We are also looking at purchasing equipment to possibly place
chips on the boards in-house.  The vendors will be contracting for our
larger production needs.  Peereboom is sending prototype integrated board
to Summers for cleaning, etc.  We are waiting for the cards for the data
transmission system; expect to have layout for fabrication within the next
couple of weeks.  It has been concluded that Sramek is responsible for
integration.  Kingsley believes we should re-circulate Mangum's cabling
plan to verify all sub-systems; Kingsley will then get this into the
contract.  We should continue the interferometer cabling as planned.

Glendenning - There was a control software release last week.  We ordered
the VME crates today.  Kemball reported on the IRAM test on AIPS++.  Raffi
and Glendenning are finalizing skeleton plan in Grenada.  Marson and
Pokorny are taking over Brooks' responsibilities. Kingsley confirms that
the antenna bus master will be in the control cabin rack.

Sramek - Rack drawings will be presented at the Back End PDR.  The racks
are not completely full.  Kingsley stated that Alcatel's receiver cabin
will not fit our equipment racks.

Kingsley - We are pushing Alcatel for their foundation details; however,
we do not know when we will get the drawings.  The transporter concept
design should be ready by ALMA week.  Alcatel has provided April 18, 2003
as their current delivery date.  The Vertex panels are meeting
specifications and they are working on a production schedule.  All
machining has been completed on the invar cone.  Hexapod has been received
and accepted by Vertex. The encoders have been tested and are being
shipped to Vertex in Santa Clara.  The panels at ESO look good, but
Kingsley cannot discuss this in any further detail.

Radford - Site development planning has been updated.  Brown, Radford, and
Hardy will meet with Hofstadt in Santiago April 8, 2002.  Gray and Radford
will visit M3 to discuss current road plans in Chile.

Payne - The OMT is being cold checked in Australia.  Initial results on
the thru-arm look good; we expect test results this week.  The 1 mm OMT
drawings are complete.  At the Photonics meeting last week, we discussed
commercial line spectra that is available for correction.  The prototype
cone generator has been developed in Australia and will be tested in
Tucson the first week of April.  The block diagrams need to be changed.
Working on agenda for ALMA Week.

Cunningham - The band 3 SIS devices have been fabricated by UVA and seem
to be fine; two will be available next month.  The evaluation receiver and
holography are proceeding well.  While in Charlottesville, I was able to
review band 6.  A mixer meeting will be arranged.

Brown - The AEC has agreed to the site planning changes.

There will be an ALMA Bi-lateral Teleconference March 25, 2002.

ALMA NA DH Teleconference - 2002-Apr-01

Attendees - Mangum, Radford, Brown, Simon, Gray, White, Glendenning, Sramek,
Kingsley, Webber, Porter, Perfetto

Brown asks for any open issues for the ALMA Week planning.  Brown
questions Porter on the import issues.  Porter stated that we had heard
the duty free status was going to be reversed.  This has been received by
the NSF.  A outside report found that most of the federal procurements
have been done by sole source procurements; we may see changes in these
policies.  Justifications may be required to be expanded and scrutinized
more.

Kingsley - Near term milestones include getting the antenna on site and
working at the site.  One of the top concerns we face is making sure our
material is working.  Receiver interface plate working and electrical
connections.  The cabling plan needs to be completed.  Sramek has
de-scoped the plans for the ATF and hopes to be able to assign technical
staff for the cabling issues.  Optical pointing telescope has been signed
off to the computing group.  The nutator should be delivered in late July,
including the computer interface.  The nutator is being added to the
Product Tree.  Rafal and Kingsley discussed staffing positions for the
antenna sub-system.

Perfetto - Holography going well; receiver is wired up completely.  Brooks
is working on the firmware.  We are approximately 6 - 8 weeks behind
schedule.  Delivery on sis mixers is well.  We are working on the second
receiver frame.  Waiting for a few major components for the second
receiver.  Photonics Shillue is putting together the test site - hardware
format, etc.  The holography transmitter is ready and waiting for
photomixer; software control issues are not completed.  Holography testing
at the ATF is to begin in October; radiometric test are to begin in
January 2003.

Mangum - Ortela is integrating weather devices.  We received the final
three hardware pieces to be working on the weather instruments; two
laptops and the cabling.

Sramek - Holography tower is up and contractor is doing final work on it;
retensioning guide cables, etc.  We are asking engineers for a letter
stating the minor detail changes that will not be a safety hazard.  the
delivery f the trailer is on order, but it is being delayed.  We cannot
put it in place before it is inspected.  The trailer will be installed
near the end of April.  The cable pull to that site will be done in a
couple of weeks.

The back end subsystem is preparing the re-defining task.  We got the
second channel working.  It has a complex bit pattern; goes at 100
Gbytes/second over cabling; we will now bring in the fiber optic board.
Testing will be done in May.  We are devoting most of our time to the Back
End PDR to be held during ALMA Week.

Webber - Most engineers were attending a meeting last week.  The chief
concern during these meetings was: i) who is doing all the IF amplifiers;
ii) the availability of transitters.  To test the transitter situation we
will need to do another wafer run.  More work will be done to figure out
how to get a handle on this.  The Japanese statement "the test cryostat
with no load takes 10 hours to cool down" causes the CDL concerns.  The
local oscillator purchase rec has been signed by Webber and is being
processed.  Webber will be prepared to speak to this during ALMA Week;
including numbers, etc.

The prototype correlator chip is due May 15.  The engineers are designing
and check out of the rack design, etc., are on-going.

Glendenning - Working on tasks related to the next software release.
Integration issues are being worked on.  Working on material for the
Granada meeting.  Each work element responsible person is writing
documentation on their area.  Requisitions are waiting for HR in
Charlottesville to continue their processes; White will work with HR today
on this.

Gray - Oliver is setting up the documentation system and working on server
issues.  Gray sent out memo on user names, etc.  Oliver gave a sample
presentation to the Tucson group on the documentation system.  Working on
the product tree for the ALMA Project that Tan had originated; this is
quite urgent to work out.  Simon ask if the AEC has formally agreed on the
new standards for design reviews.  Gray answered no; this is being
discussed.  Sramek would like to see some more details worked out.

Radford - Negotiations with Hofstadt with agenda at meeting in Santiago to
discuss distribution of task and scheduling in Chile.  Have started M3
engineering doing comparisons on road locations; the choice of that road
will determine the site of the OSF.  Kingsley asked M3 to redo the
estimate of foundation cost in Chile; expect to have this by end of the
week.

Brown reports that we have received two installments of monies from NSF.

The ASAC met for two days and the Japanese spoke for one day.  The scientist
reviewed the proposal process.

The future correlator design in Europe was discussed last week at the
meeting the CDL personnel attended.  Switching design was discussed;
Webber and Sramek will look into this off-line.

The Japanese are finding the Project harder to sell now in Japan with the
way they will be required to join the Project.  The ACC is intent on
signing the ALMA agreement in June 2002 of this year; Japan will not be
ready to sign at this time.

Simon - Phase 2 accounts are active and should be used.  Phase 1 accounts
will be closed down soon.  We don't want to burden our accounts any
further with leftover Phase 1 tasks.  New accounts will be added to the
Phase 2 system to account for Phase 1 non-completed tasks.  Sramek asks
about the fiscal reports that have been requested for a long time; Porter
states he is working on getting reports for DH going back to the beginning
of this fiscal year (FY2002).

Our next meeting will be April 8 at 1700 UT.

ALMA NA DH Teleconference Minutes - 2002-Apr-08

Attendees:  Avery, Glendenning, Sramek, Perfetto, Payne, Kingsley, Radford,
Rafal, Webber, Porter, Simon

Marc brought the group up-to-date with the ACC meeting
planning. anticipated that the ACC will approve the basic planning
documents form the AEC and carry those forward to their funding agencies
to be approved this summer. One area that is of concern is the planning
for how to do the antenna procurement.  The NA is proposing a process that
puts in place an option to make a decision point in Spring 2003 if the
Vertex antenna proves to meet the specifications and Vertex agrees to a
price in the cost envelope, the Project could decide to go with Vertex
without waiting for the Alcatel antenna, however we do not have to
exercise this option.  The decision date is a controlled date.

Kingsley - Expect Vertex to arrive in late April early May.  Early in June
we should be able to have a communications date.  Moving antenna in late
June; expect to have a complete antenna in late July.  Optical pointing
telescope and nutator are in the planning process and moving along well.
Several other options are in process and we expect to complete them soon
as well.  Nutator coding issues are being worked on by outside
contractors.  The nutator control interface ICD should be issued soon.
NRAO will be responsible for the cabling at the ATF.  After review we
realized the cost savings were very little.  Long and Chavez will lead the
cabling effort; we expect to have outfitting done by June 1.  All of this
work is predicated on descoping the AEG testing plan.

Perfetto - The evaluation receiver assembly is underway, but is taking
longer than expected.  We plan to cool cartridges for the first time in
two weeks.  Some of the components for the second evaluation receiver are
complete.  Some of the ports for the evaluation receiver are being
programmed now.

The holography is our first priority.  The transmitter has been built and
tested; it works ok.  We are waiting for the photomixers to return from
RAL.  The feeds, transmitter, holography reference are being set to
Georgia Tech for measurement.  Carter is doing additional measurements on
the main holography ??.  The holography wiring is complete; we are almost
ready for the M&C integration.

Glendennign reports that the software has been implemented.  Lucas is
still working on several issues.  Lucas will come to Socorro for
installation and training.  Testing can be done in the lab with a
transmitter and receiver.  The system integration of the holography will
probably be done on the antennas.

Sramek will deliver the de-scope IF down converter without the second IF
strap or the second total power.  We are still planning on providing the
LO reference via photonics.  The line length connector is not needed
immediately.  There is a significant descoping for the Back End.  The test
correlator may be needed by the EVLA; it should not be dismantled.

Mangum - The laser interferometer has been delayed from the company.  We
are trying to install the solar filter.  The weather instrumentation is is
ready to install on towers; we are waiting for the ethernet installation.
The trailer is expected to arrive on May 1.  The computing sub-system will
have the task of integrating all the bits and pieces.

Rafal - Rafal noted the need for a coordinated schedule for antenna
activities.  Rafal requested that everyone send him the deliverables and
dates.

Mangum questioned a to get to the ALMA Test Site from the AOC; the Project
may need to increase the cars at the AOC.  Mangum also pointed out their
may be a significant lead time to receive GSA cars.  We also need to be
concerned about the availability of food at the site.  Sramek stated food
service at the site should be available at end of May; however this is
costly ($400/day for 10 persons).

The next meeting will be April 15 at 1700 UT.