[alma_na] ALMA Week

Jacob Baars jbaars at eso.org
Fri Dec 14 06:42:43 EST 2001

Dear Colleagues Division Heads and Team Leaders,

on behalf of the AEC, I like to inform you that the next ALMA Week is
scheduled to take place in Granada, Spain, from Tuesday 23 through
Saturday 27 April 2003.
The ACC is meeting the last days of the week before in Venice and we
have decided to allow Monday for travel to Granada, beginning the
Meeting on Tuesday morning. The meeting will continue into Saturday,
allowing a Saturday night stay-over before return travel on Sunday.
There are three flights daily on Iberia, both from/to Madrid and
Barcelona. IRAM-Spain has offered to take care of the local
arrangements, for which we are very grateful.

As you will recall, the basic idea behind the ALMA Week is to combine
in one place during one week a number of smaller, specialized
progress or review meetings with a general meeting of all DH/TLs with
the Management on all aspects of the ALMA Project. This will reduce
travel time and cost for those who would have to attend several of
such meetings and enables a wider dissemination of information than
during separate small meetings. It is expected to hold the ALMA Week
twice per year.

Therefore all Division Heads and Team Leaders are requested to
arrange upcoming discussion and review meetings in their area of
responsibility in the time slot of the ALMA Week. To help us prepare
the schedule and other logistic requirements of the meeting, the AEC
invites you to inform us at your earliest possibility of your plan to
arrange a discussion meeting during the ALMA week. You should give us
the subject of the meeting, expected time duration and estimated
number of participants. This will allow us to allocate meeting space
and construct an optimum schedule. As a guideline, we should receive
your preliminary announcement by 14 January 2002.

Copy of this message goes to our Japanese and Canadian colleagues for
information.

I take this opportunity to wish you all a happy and relaxed Holiday Season.
With best regards,

Jaap